If you are an experienced and skilled driver who wants to migrate to Canada read this article. You are in the right place. I am sure you have a lot of questions and doubts going through your mind. What are the requirements for a truck driver in Canada and the province that offers the best jobs in your field? These are the kind of serious questions that need answers before you can migrate.
You will also get information on different immigration programs offered to truck drivers. So that you can know what they have to offer and choose one that will serve you best.
Why You Should Pick Canada as a Good Country to Migrate Into
Being skilled and experienced in your trade might not be enough to convince you to move. Canada is one of the best countries for immigrants for some reasons.
- There are new job openings available for immigrants everywhere from every field. Truck driving is very versatile so you have a high chance of securing a job.
- As a result of abundant job opportunities, you have the opportunity to choose the best.
- Jobs give decent wages to their employees
- The cost of living is very low but you still get a high quality of life. You can save more while enjoying the best life has to offer in that country.
- Access to efficient universal healthcare for free.
What You Need to Know as a Truck Driver who Wants to Migrate to Canada
Here we will highlight all the information you need as a truck driver in Canada. Especially if you plan to migrate. The requirements for you are a bit different for residents.
#1. Know Your Employment Requirements and National Occupational Classification (NOC)
Usually, before you apply to migrate to other countries you must have a job offer and the right NOC prepared. But in Canada having a job offer is not needed. They have many immigration programs and many visas available to choose from thereby making migration for you a lot easier.
Here are the basic employment requirements for truck drivers in Canada:
- You must possess a secondary school certificate
- Expect training on the job
- You must have completed at least 3 months of a driving course. The school or college you receive the training from must meet Canadian standards.
- You will need a Class 3 or D license for straight vehicles
- For more complex combination vehicles you will need a Class 1 or A license.
- You need to have an endorsement for the air brake.
- If you will be transporting dangerous goods you need to present a TDA. A Transportation of Dangerous Goods.
- There are other requirements you may need but that depends on the type of truck you will be operating.
Here are some locations that regulate the truck driving occupation:
- Alberta; Apprenticeship and industry training office
- British Columbia; Worksafe
- Ontario; Technical standards and safety authority, Ontario college of trades
- Quebec; Emploi Quebec, Societe de l’assurance automobile du Quebec
#2. Do Your Research on Job Prospects in the Province
At the end of it all, you would want to choose a province that has a high demand for employees in your field. You do not want to make the mistake of picking one that has a low demand because you might end up unemployed. Destroying your dreams of migrating to a land of better opportunities.
To avoid that from happening you need to take your time to research. Find out the provinces that have a high demand for truck drivers in their labor market.
You need to be aware of the current economic and social state of the province. That way you can know if someone in your field can thrive there.
As you are searching you should also look up the immigration programs available. Especially the ones convenient for truck drivers. Ensure that you find out about all the requirements for them so you can prepare to meet them. It is important to meet all the requirements so that you can qualify.
#3. Find the Immigration Programs Available for Truck Drivers
After you have met the requirements for employment as a truck driver, it is time to select a province in Canada.
You should pick a province that best suits your job. You can also decide on one with the best climate, schools for your children, and health facilities.
Next, you choose the best immigration program for the truck driving field. Every Canadian province has different immigration processes. So the programs available to everyone are different and the criteria for each are different. In this case, you must select the best one for you well.
Below is a list of available programs in Canada:
- The express entry system
- Provincial Nomination Program (PNP)
- Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP)
1. The Express Entry System
The express entry system is a points-driven online system used to manage immigration applications. The system has 3 programs offered to skilled workers. Skilled and experienced truck drivers can apply for any of their 3 programs.
- Canadian Experience Class
- Federal Skilled Program
- Federal Skilled Trades Program
Canadian Experience Class
The experienced class is for skilled workers with work experience in Canada. They also want to be permanent residents there.
The least requirements to be eligible are;
- Meet the expected language levels for the 4 language abilities;
One whole year of job experience in the past 3 years. Ways you can achieve this with 1560 hours of work in;
- full-time at 1 job
- part-time work
- full-time work at two jobs or more
For educational requirements there are none. But if you want to improve your rank you can;
- Use the certificate gotten from a school in Canada to get points
- If you have a foreign certificate you can get points in;
- completed foreign credential
- Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) immigration report
What you need to meet the language requirements
- Meet the least Canadian language benchmark
- Taking language tests
- Including the test results in the Express Entry profile
Federal Skilled Program
The skilled program is for people with foreign work experience. They also want to immigrate to Canada.
To be eligible for this program you need to meet all these requirements;
- Your work experience must be the same as the job you want to use for your immigration application
- You must have work experience in the last 10 years
- You must have received payment for the work. Working as a volunteer and unpaid internships are not considered.
- Not less than one year of continuous work for 1560 hours in;
- A full-time job
- Part-time job
- A full-time at two or more jobs
To meet language requirements you must;
- Take a Canadian-approved language test in
- Score at least a Canadian language benchmark of 7
- Include your test results in the Express Entry profile
Educational requirements are;
- A Canadian certificate in secondary school or higher institution
- For a foreign certificate, you must have a completed credential or ECA for immigration.
Federal Skilled Trades Program
The federal skilled trades program accepts skilled workers who want to immigrate. Only people qualified in a skilled trade are eligible.
The least requirements to be eligible;
- Meet the expected language level for each of the 4 language abilities;
2 years of work experience. The work experience must be;
- Full-time and skilled
- within the last 5 years
- must be a paid job because volunteer work and unpaid internships are not included
To meet all the job requirements for the skilled trade, you must have a;
- valid full-time work offer for at least a year
- certificate of qualification of the trade you specialize in
For the federal skilled trade program, there are no requirements for education. But you can improve your rank by doing the following;
For people who studied in Canada get points from getting a certificate;
- A Canadian secondary school
- A Canadian higher institution
For people with foreign education, you can use an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA). The ECA must be from an accepted organization. One that can prove your certificate meets Canadian educational standards from any;
- Secondary school
- Tertiary institution
The language requirements for this immigration program are;
- The least score on the Canadian language benchmark of 5 in all the language abilities
- Written and passed approved language tests. The results must be valid also.
- The test results must appear in the Express Entry profile
After meeting all the above requirements you must provide proof of sufficient have funds
- You can work there by law
- Have a valid job offer
#2. The Provincial Nominee Program(PNP)
The Provincial Nominee Program in participating provinces provides immigration to many people. They nominate people based on set requirements that they meet.
Every province is free to set its requirements. So provincial requirements differ from each other.
As a truck driver, you need to know all the requirements for your field so you can meet them.
The PNP is different from the Express Entry program because it is less technical. Human capital contribution is the most important aspect. They calculate it with a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). Every person receives points based on human capital contribution.
The higher your points the more likely the better your chances for the nomination.
People with job offers usually have more points but it still favors people without. People without job offers can earn points in other ways so they can qualify.
So if you are a truck driver with a job offer you are good to go. But if you do not have a job offer you should consider ways of adding to your points.
A truck driver can apply for PNP in two ways:
The First Option
You apply to the territory you want to receive the nomination under their Express entry stream. They will consider your application and check if you meet all the requirements.
The province will send a nomination if your skills match. Then you proceed to create an Express Entry Profile if you did not already have one. But if you already have one make sure that you update it with the necessary information.
The nominations are usually sent to your account by electronic means.
The Second Option
In this option, you only create an Express Entry profile or update one that already exists. The profile will show which province you want a nomination from after they consider and analyze your application. When you meet all their requirements they will send a notification of interest to you.
When you receive the notification you have direct contact with them. Through that, you can apply to their stream.
#3. Temporary Foreign Worker Program(TFWP)
In this program, Canadian employers make the rules. They have absolute power to hire foreign nationals in their province. Especially those who fit the skill shortage in that province.
The employers first hire workers from the Canadian market. After that, they can now seek out foreign labor supply.
Foreign workers who succeed in this program must have a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). The LMIA proves that the employer has the authority to hire an immigrant.
What are the Requirements to Immigrate to Canada
You first need to submit a work permit application to IRCC and include the following:
- A valid job offer as a truck driver
- Proof of meeting the job offers requirements
- A copy of your LMIA number
- Proof of successful language test results that meet Canadian standards
- You must have scored up to the Canadian Language Benchmark
- A medical examination
- Police clearance certificate
- Proof of having enough funds to support you and your family
- Valid settlement plan with proof of adequate funds to secure it
Is the TFWP beneficial to You?
The answer to that is yes. The TFWP offers temporary work and it may seem discouraging but it has its advantages.
You will have access to gain Canadian work experience. This makes your resume stand out in a big way because most Canadian immigration programs want people with local work experience. So when you apply for permanent residence they will consider you above other applicants.
After all the information in this article, you can see that applying for a job in Canada is not difficult. Especially if you are migrating. All you need is to have information on all the requirements you need to meet.
You pick the province you want then research all the programs it has available. Then pick the one that is best suitable for you and go through all its requirements. Meet all the necessary requirements and you are good to go.